August 09, 2014

Dresser in Pitch Black Milk Paint

Hi friends. 

I love this makeover!
 I have only painted one other piece black and that was for a client. Black is not my normal but I knew it would work with this piece. I went to my local WoodCraft and bought a couple sacks of Old-Fashioned Milk Paint. It was on sale and I couldn't pass up the price. 

BEFORE

AFTER
This brand of milk paint leaves a milky, sometimes uneven, finish. 
I think it's perfect because it gives it a more worn look & some depth. 
I need to mention, I do not have my dog pose. He sees the camera, a comfy rug and plops right down. 



 I found these pulls at Target.
I love the hammered finish.


The natural lighting makes this piece look like there is white, or some type of build-up, but it's just the sunlight. 






I have to give my friend Reeves, from The Weathered Door, props for the inspiration to do the paper art wall. You guys should check out her page. She is beyond talented! 
I found an old book at Goodwill, cut out my favorite pictures, and taped them to the wall. 
They are frame worthy!

I adore how this little dresser turned out.

Make sure to follow me on Facebook!

Helen


Linking up:
inspire me please * nifty thrifty * tinysidekick * pneumatic addict

29 comments:

  1. This piece is so pretty! I really love the worn look on a modern piece with clean lines. And those pictures are great! I'm going to go look for vintage books with pictures now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your wall and I had to give you full credit!!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!! I am working on a small desk in lamp black from General Finishes and hoping it turns out similar to your dresser. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see yours. I wanted a "chippy" look so I used Old Fashioned Milk Paint instead of GF. I'm super happy with the outcome!

      Delete
  3. You really picked a great color for this one! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I might be using black more often! : )

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I need to try milk paint... Just haven't found the perfect piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a piece is older and kinda beat-up, that would probably be a good piece for milk paint! I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous piece; I will not hesitate to use black now after seeing your pretty results; I was thinking of my kitchen island (its small) painted black with natural wood top. Thanks for sharing your lovely talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, the milk paint turned out great! I really like how it has a weathered look, and that hardware looks perfect with it. I'd love to feature this on Involving Color. Let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jena, Yes I would love to be featured. I think my favorite part about this piece is the depth of color. It's black and gray in certain areas.
      Thanks for the opportunity!

      Delete
  7. LOVE THIS, I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE OK WITH YOU,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Yes, I would love to be featured!! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of black either but it looks beautiful on your dresser. Loving the weather look which looks very natural. The rug makes it pop and your dog is a very nice accessory! If you have the time maybe you'll share this tomorrow afternoon at Sunday's Best party. Have a great day. P.S. if your dresser goes missing...don't look my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) Thanks Cathy! Yes, I will make sure to link this up!

      Delete
  9. This is beautiful - I'm itching to do a milk paint project and this is really inspiring me to go for it. Love!

    Rhonda @ home.made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love farmhouse style but i have an awesome maple midcentury dresser that I can't bear to give up because of it's high quality. It is very similar to this one. I think I will try this. Did you have to sand it to get the distressing or did it happen naturally with the paint? If you have any tips for me, I'd sooooo appreciate it. Did you just do one coat with the pitch black paint? And it took two bags?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does the paint automatically look distressed or did you sand?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its really fun to read this. I enjoyed a lot. Great Article

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a great pleasure to read this post. Awesome! Its full of information here

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so awesome! Your writing has helped me a lot, thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete